I am a Norse Heathen living in the greater Washington, D.C. area.
Starting in early 2011, I found a need to deal with a tremendous amount of rage and anger for a variety of reasons that began my journey to finding a new way for handling, controlling and accepting those feelings. I have always been drawn heavily to philosophy and deep thought, calling myself more a heathen philosopher. However, the path that brought me here is far more mystical than I had previously encountered.
While my path started with Stoic philosophy, and that helped, I found the rage was too strong and slowly discovered a new way based on accepting that anger and walking straight into it (Fire) rather than ignoring it (Below/Denial), surrendering that rage to Deity (Above) or using Stoic or Buddhist methods of meditation (Water). I will warn the reader that this was based heavily on the concept of the berserk, in case that is a concern, and that fire CAN burn you in ways that are not physical.
I am hopeful that this will give heathens and other northern path followers another method for dealing with emotions consistent with our beliefs, if other methods have not worked.
Please note that I am not a strict Heathen reconstructionist although I read heavily on Norse and other subjects. I see the lore as the starting groundwork that each individual then uses to move forward. I feel it important to deal with people where they are, and not try to bring them to my point of view.
A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them.
The working title I have is Rage Gothi. I use Gothi rather than priest both because it is heathen and because it had an element of self selection and resources. I am still working on the rules and elements of this function but so far I can say:
1) I will honor anyone’s right to Anger, Rage and Passion. My only question will be what you DO with that.
2) I am NOT a relationship counselor. At best, I am counselor between you and your Rage but NOT the cause of it. I am not here to pass judgement or take sides or even to “poor baby” you. I will work to help you deal with your own anger, and the control or lack of control of it. I will focus you inward, not outward, and be firm about not expressing opinions about anyone else but you.
3) I am not currently accepting online requests for counselling or assistance. I work with people I meet personally and decide to assist.
4) I have discovered that, in many cases, my place is more to lead by example than to have clients. Most who tell me I have helped them only tell me much later. I therefore strive to do my best everyday.
5) I have a life, family and day job. This is a calling but not my whole life. I will place limits on what I will support and I will not be completely public in my dealings, identity or faith.
6) See a therapist, have a physician. I am a layman with a spiritual path. If you are having serious anger issues, seek professional help.
If you truly feel a need to contact me, use ragewhisperer at gmail