Of a Blot to Freya
Yesterday, I hosted a Blot to Freya at my house. While I had some organized plans and formal prayers, it mostly became an off the cuff process with a single round followed by food and discussion.
Key points made:
- I reviewed the story of Freya and Hrungnir’s entrance to Asgard and her offering him mead. This opened theme of Hospitality as a resource and a weapon. She had the courage and the right of things to offer a guest a drink, even when belligerent and threatening. (An example, although I was using another source: https://norse-mythology.org/tales/thors-duel-with-hrungnir/)
- Of Freya as representing sovereignty over the bodies of women (and others).
- Of Freya as representing lust and the right to love as we choose.
- Freya as one who stands for the abused.
- Of the need for Hospitality, friendship and renewal in a long fight. That in a long, hard fight, we need to rest.
- That we must respect our enemies, to a point, but never show them our backs. (Not my point, but a good toast.)
There was also discussion of how to help victims of abuse, dealing with rage and related issues. In addition, there was friendship, camaraderie, food, drinks and connection.
The Blot was impromptu, and put together with minimal time and a random list of invitees. Clearly, more are needed. Remember in dark times that we draw light from each other.